Happy Birthday Facebook : From Zero to Everything!
It was 4th February 2004 when it all started. A normal unknown guy till that time was working hard to build something which might change the world and it really did! Today, Facebook is celebrating its 8th birthday and I would like to congratulate them for their huge success with the ultimate dedication, hard work and determination. Here’s what I want to cover today for them.
I am writing this for a special motive. Actually, people say that Facebook was an overnight success but I want you guys to know that NO, Facebook was not an overnight success and it was not a stroke of luck which made that guy the youngest billionaire of his times. Since 2004, if you analyze how Mark Zuckerberg has worked, you’ll know what makes Facebook. I am presenting a timeline of Facebook evolution below.
- October 28, 2003: Mark Zuckerberg releases Facemash, the predecessor to Facebook. It was described as a Harvard University version of Hot or Not.
- January 2004: Zuckerberg begins writing Facebook.
- January 11, 2004: Zuckerberg registers thefacebook.com domain.
- February 4, 2004: Zuckerberg launches Facebook.
- March 2004: Facebook expands to Stanford University, Dartmouth College, Columbia University, and Yale University.
- April 13, 2004: Zuckerberg, Dustin Moskovitz, and Eduardo Saverin form Thefacebook.com LLC, a partnership.
- June 2004: Facebook receives its first investment from Peter Thiel for US$500,000.
- May 26, 2005: Accel Partners invests $13 million into Facebook.
- August 23, 2005: Facebook acquires Facebook.com domain for $200,000.
- September 2006: Facebook discusses with Yahoo! about the latter possibly acquiring the former, for $1 billion.
- September 2006: Facebook launches a high school version of the website.
- September 26, 2006: Facebook is open to everyone aged 13 and over, and with a valid email address.
- August 2008: Employees reportedly privately sell their shares to venture capital firms, at a company valuation of between $3.75 billion to $5 billion.
- August 2009: Facebook acquires FriendFeed.
- February 2010: Facebook acquires Malaysian contact-importing startup Octazen Solutions.
- April 2, 2010: Facebook announces the acquisition of photo-sharing service called Divvyshot for an undisclosed amount.
- April 19, 2010: Facebook introduces Community Pages, which are Pages that are populated with articles from Wikipedia.
- January 2011: $500 million is invested into Facebook for 1% of the company, placing its worth at $50 billion.
- June 2011: Facebook partners with Skype to add video chat.
- September 2011: Facebook partners with Heroku for Facebook application development using the Facebook Platform.
- December 22, 2011: Facebook launches its new profile user interface, Facebook Timeline.
- On January 24, Facebook announced its new profile design, “Timeline”, will become mandatory and permanent for all users.
- On February 1, Facebook announced plans for a stock market flotation in a effort to raise around $5bn.
This was about their financial growth and now let’s see how their users have grown over these years :
Looking at the graph, you see a constant growth and not a sudden growth as you expect. So, I just want to tell you that don’t see Facebook as an overnight success but it has a great story of growth and probably one of the best example of determination, leadership and all and every quality you require to grow in such a way that makes you be on top of the world.
I know, many people hate Facebook and I’m somehow one of them but I still have a little love for Facebook inside all those hatred because without Facebook, so many things couldn’t have been possible. On this day, I would just like to add : Happy Birthday, Facebook. Keep growing 😉
Credits : Wikipedia, TechCrunch.