It’s the next big trend, the next big thing and the next big buzz : Cloud Computing. I know, you must be hearing this word every now and then when you browse through the internet and you might have tried finding out what exactly it is, right? Couldn’t understand yet? Well, that is why I’m here for. Today, I’m going to explain you what is cloud computing in simple words which I’m sure will explain everything about Cloud Computing.
Wikipedia Definition of Cloud Computing is : Cloud computing is the delivery of computing as a service rather than a product, whereby shared resources, software, and information are provided to computers and other devices as a utility (like the electricity grid) over a network (typically the Internet).
You might find tough time what all these means. Never mind, keep reading this article and I am sure you will have a clear idea about this whole Cloud Computing thing when it is over.
[Note]What is Cloud Computing?[/Note]
Cloud computing is the ability to employ a number of computers, hardware, software, and servers to serve your computing needs remotely without actually owning or running the software and hardware.
Cloud computing comes into focus only when you think about what IT always needs: a way to increase capacity or add capabilities on the fly without investing in new infrastructure, training new personnel, or licensing new software. Cloud computing encompasses any subscription-based or pay-per-use service that, in real time over the Internet, extends IT’s existing capabilities.
You might not experience but when you access your Gmail or HotMail or Yahoo Mail, it is all running on cloud service. In short, the Cloud Computing power is infinite.
[Note]Characteristics of Cloud Computing[/Note]
- On demand self services : computer services such as email, applications, network or
server service can be provided without requiring human interaction with each service
- Rapid elasticity: Cloud services can be rapidly and elastically provisioned, in some cases
automatically, to quickly scale out and rapidly released to quickly scale in.
- Measured service: Cloud computing resource usage can be measured, controlled, and
reported providing transparency for both the provider and consumer of the utilised service.
- Self Healing : In case of a system failure, the last saved copy of an application becomes the primary copy.
- In cloud computing, it is not possible to know where actually your data is physically present.
[Note]Benefits/Advantages of Cloud Computing[/Note]
- Reduced costs : Cloud computing reduces your hardware (computers, software (all those downloaded programs), networking management and overall IT expenses. In addition, with cloud computing, you pay for what you use.
- Automatic Updates : There is no need for a user to worry about paying for your future updates in terms of software and hardware.
- More Mobility : Employees can access information wherever they are, rather than having to remain at their desks.
- Response Time: Cloud computing accomplishes a better response time in most cases than your standard server and hardware.
Cloud Computing is like a machine with unlimited resource that runs 24 hours and 7 days a week and all those resources are shared.
[Note]Negatives of Cloud Computing[/Note]
- Internet Use : It’s necessary to stay connected to Internet to be able to use cloud computing service as the data is stored on the cloud and internet is necessary to connect to cloud servers.
- Public Data : If the Cloud server is not private, it makes all the user data public which means, anyone can access the data stored in a cloud server if it isn’t a private cloud.
In short, you just lose control over your data if it is not stored in a private cloud.
[Note]Examples of Cloud Computing[/Note]
- All Google Apps including Gmail, Picasa, Google Docs, Google Play (Android Market)
- Amazon Web Services (AWS)
- Microsoft Zune & Azure, Apple’s iTunes
- Cloud Hosting Services
So, that’s it for now. It was indeed a long read but I hope it was worth the time and you got a basic knowledge of what Cloud Computing is all about. Let me know if you have any queries in comments below or leave a word of appreciation at least. Thanks a lot. Cheers till the next time I see you with another amazing article.